Thursday, November 17, 2016

A Lack of Focus and Energy

"You should understand that literally every small thing is a fraction of your energy. Take a practical view of the situation and only delightful things that you can make use of into your new life. The you approach your belongings, ask yourself: 'Do I want to keep this energy, or should I let new energy take its place?'"

I read this quote from an article on the Brightside a couple of months ago, and it resonated with me. Every little object in my possession sucks up my energy. That screw that I put in my jewelry dish that I have since done absolutely nothing with. That stack of papers that I can never seem to remember to sort. The clothes in my closet that I haven't worn in ages. The things that held little to no value to me, the things that I wouldn't notice if one day they vanished from my life, have been weighing me down. This was a sobering thought. So--I started selling my things. At first, I admit it was mainly for the money-teachers don't necessarily go into this profession for the end-of-the-year bonuses and raises after all. But as I continued to sift through what I decided to keep and sell, a foundational shift occurred. I simultaneously started to feel lighter and heavier all at once. Lighter, because, according to my quote and the rest of the article, and, you know from research and sciency evidence-- less stuff. Heavier because--selling things is kind of a pain in the ass sometimes. As I continue going through the layers of my life, I am constantly finding objects that no longer serve a purpose. Since July, there has been a fairly consistent stream of people buying my things as well as me uploading new things to sell. And it is continuing. My bedroom, bathroom, and dining room feels like a workshop of things I have set aside to get rid of. I have developed this habit of looking around and finding something new I can get rid of when I have spare moments. I'm not planning on slowing down or stopping until I have found an equilibrium of energy that feels less soul-sucking, and more peaceful. Yes, peace is my goal. Creating a haven is my goal here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment