Monday, June 22, 2015

Orange is My New Life

Looking for jobs seriously blows. But now it's just getting depressing (and let's face it: boring) listening to myself whine about not having a job. So let's just avoid the subject entirely, shall we?

However, within the deep abyss that makes up the day-to-day of being unemployed (okay, maybe I can't avoid the subject entirely...) there is one small comfort: I've finally jumped on the Orange is the New Black bandwagon, and I'm never looking back. There's nothing like finding the perfect TV show to properly parallel your life.

(Side-note: I heard that watching The Walking Dead is also pretty entertaining when you're at home all day filling out job applications, but I would actually recommend that show when you're going through boy drama (or girl drama too, for that matter). Nothing like watching people maim walkers for hours on end to give you an ounce of hope that vindication could come by way of a zombie apocalypse...)

Now, I'm not necessarily trying to compare my life to being in prison (although the irony that they are in prison does not escape me-- that's another story for another day...), but the feeling of being stuck...being stuck and not being able to do much about it...is super relatable to my life right now. And on top of that, the pure gold of some of the quotes in the show. I mean seriously, how perfectly this quote fits my life is...just is:

"I know I should be feeling thrilled right now. I'm in print. I'm young..-ish. And I'm healthy....also -ish..I'm alive. I'm a living, breathing thing. And it's really, it's overwhelming how lucky I am. But yet every night, I go to bed, I have this gnawing feeling like what I've got is not enough. And every morning I wake up thinking that the feeling will be gone...but it's not. Does that make me a selfish, fucking ungrateful douchebag?"

My mind has been a broken record of thoughts like this since April.

Also, Regina Spektor sings the theme song, and who isn't instantly transported back to 2005 when they hear her voice? And, I can't help but talk about how I love love loooove the fact that we see the crap that each character went through before prison, and yet everyone is an asshole. It just makes me giddy with the feelys and puts a little giddy-up in my step. It makes it more realistic, which, for me, adds to the watchability (I've taken enough linguistics courses to think it's okay for me to make up words every now and again).

So that's it. That's my life right now. Hey, I said this was a creative outlet for me. I never said that I would write about things that were actually interesting....

No comments:

Post a Comment